Friday, August 14, 2015

Eduction, Modern Society & Complanecy

Eduction, Modern Society & Complanecy
This is my latest blog post, hello.  I’m starting to feel really motivated and positive about my recovery from alcohol addiction.  I have started doing a lot of research in to the cause of addiction and the psychology of addiction.
One quote I have come across which I feel is very accurate is
‘Drugs and alcohol are not our problem, reality is our problem, drugs and alcohol are our solution to that problem’
Furthermore the more I look into it the more I am not surprised that there is a drink culture in the UK at the moment given the way advertising glamorizes drink and always portrays it as a positive and good thing and drink has never been so easily and cheaply available. We have also allowed binge drinking to become a common and accepted part of modern society and now people who do not drink are seen as alien and the minority. I don’t blame all the above though as we are all people with our own minds with which we decide to drink, I do feel though that more should be done with the educational system to make young people aware of the damages drink and drugs can do to your physical and mental health, as such provide them with the correct information with which to make their own informed decisions when it comes to alcohol and drug use. Given how experimenting with weed or drink is getting more common now before kids have even left secondary education I would perhaps suggest introducing education as early as the 6th year of education.
The main problems I am finding at the moment is that OK I have achieved 6 months without a drink, that is a huge achievement given the levels I was drinking at and for how long that had been for on a daily basis, also I was using drink as a coping mechanism so to be able to find other ways of coping the last 6 months has been a battle and an achievement of which I must be proud. However with each more day of sobriety that passes the more I have to guard against the dangers of complacency and a lapse in my progress.  This scares me beyond belief to the point of no sleep and panic attacks at times. 90% of the work if not more is being done by the fact that I’m on antabuse medication at the moment without it I would of lapsed if not relapsed long before now for sure. I now find that I’m fearful of the day that I will eventually have to come off antabuse, I do not feel like I trust myself or have the strength not to reach again for drink.  I have now come to the realistic conclusion that I will never be able to drink again.  When I used to drink I could not simply have 1 or 2 and then leave it, I was all of nothing, once I got a taste I was in beast mode I would not stop until my body through slowly closing down organ by organ forced me to stop, given this I conclude there is no way I can risk even just 1 swift drink which may set me off on that course of self-destruction, drink for me was all and now for my long term physical and mental health, relationships, finances and much more it must be nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment